OK, you get the picture. It's usually not so nice. We want to avoid those people. At all cost.
Then why - with our social media - are we pushing people, and not ENGAGING them?
Why are we promoting "buy... buy... BUY!"? Why are we hawking product? Why are we shoving specials down their throats? If you look at some social media sites, the majority of their posts are PUSHING. Promoting. Selling. And very few ideas on how to use the products.
So why do people go to social media? To learn. Connect. Engage. NOT to be sold. Shouted at. Arm twisted. Wheeled and dealed. Yet most companies don't understand what good content really is... what their readers want from them. So here's what I have found that works best:
Mary Ellen's Social Media Top 5 What Likers Want
1. To feel special. They want to know you value your relationship with them... so much so that they receive special advantages from you. Advantages like advance notice of news, sales, exclusive sample offers, added savings, extra perks.... an edge for their allegiance in connecting to you... to know you value them but in a fun, friendly way. (Remember it's called "social" media for a reason.)
2. Tips, hints, trends, hacks and tricks. Basically, provide them with knowledge that you have - or your product or service can provide to them - without selling - that can improve their life, their productivity. The more you help sharing your expertise, the more they want to keep reading your posts. It doesn't have to be original content. It can be a great article you read, or a tip someone else shared... as long as it connects to your brand or product benefit.
3. Things they can share easily. People love helping others. And that means being able to share good postings. If you give them great content, they are more likely to share it on their social pages. Just word it so they can share it without making any edits. The easier you make it, the more shares you're likely to get.
4. To see the real YOU, behind the scenes. Who has the messiest desk at your office. Which charities you are passionate about. Your company anniversary. Funny things that happened with your product. People's birthdays. (With their permission, of course.) People buy from people they like. Show them the human side of who they're buying from, and you'll be surprised - sometimes these posts receive the most interaction... even more than important news!
5. To be engaged. To be listened to. To participate. To give their opinion. To share themselves. To be creative with you. To be funny back. So go ahead... start a poll. Ask for their opinions. Vote on their favorite. Fill in the blank. Give you a funny caption. Share their pics, their stories. You'll gain more loyal followers when you do. But don't forget to respond quickly - honestly - transparently - when you need to. It gains even more loyalty.
Bottom line... Push less and you'll pull more.
Call me if you need help with content. <WINK>